Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Satire

Satire is a form of humour that is supposed to provoke, or prevent, change. Ultimately its aim is to get people to think about the way things are and how they can change things for the better.

Satire can push the boundaries, but that isn't its aim. I have a problem with humour that sets out to push boundaries, or simply to laugh at a situation, without doing something to change it.

I've been thinking about this a fair bit after watching and reading so much about humour. Humour is constructive if it is a catalyst for positive change - otherwise it can be really destructive.

DARE GREATLY
by Theodore Roosevelt

It is not the critic who counts;
Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled,
Or where the doer of deeds could have done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena;
Whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood;
Who strives valiantly;
Who errs and comes short again and again;
Who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause;
Who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement

And who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly
So that his place shall never be
With those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

1 Comments:

  • At February 12, 2006 9:13 pm, Blogger Mathieu said…

    Yeah, I've been thinking about the exact same thing lately, I think. Well, since we saw Luther at Leadership camp. It was the first time I saw it. I was mainly hoping they would portray the way he used his wit (the humorous kind) to bring about change, rather than make him out to be some stuffy old guy who just set out to do something theoretical. I was very impressed with the movie, having been so dissapointed with just about every other movie I've seen lately.
    Then Yesterday my brother made me watch a Carl Barron DVD. And I was thinking about just how powerful Satire can be, and started wondering if my book should use more of it than it was.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home