Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I don't have to owe the swear jar if I talk about work on my blog, do I?  ;-)  (Otherwise I might need to get a second job to pay for it!)

Anyway, today I have been reading a novel about a Christian single girl who gets married.  (Not the Ashley Stockingdale series, another one!)  And it was very timely in that the main character had to make decisions about where she wanted her career to go, and how she ended up using her talents and doing the things she loved to make a living for herself and eventually her family, even though at first she thought she couldn't do it.

The author wrote a little about herself at the end of the book and the fact that she'd been through similar situations - that she had lots of dreams but didn't know what to do.  After prayer and thought, she found a way to use her talents to serve God by writing, even though her dreams didn't make a lot of sense to anyone else.

I think I'd like to use my talents and passions to serve God and make a living, not just slog it out year after year at a job I don't love just to pay the bills.  I'm not an advocate of just quitting because 'I don't feel like it today' - but surely there's a difference between an off day and a strong, continuing desire to be doing something else.

If you could choose to do any type of work and it was guaranteed that you could make a reasonable living out of it, what would you do?

I would:
- write, perform or direct plays! And maybe even films!
- write, perform and record music.
I might teach a little bit, but I don't think it's my passion in life.

Tell me yours!! :-)

4 Comments:

  • At January 20, 2011 10:26 pm, Blogger Ashley said…

    It might sound funny but the thing I would most love to do right now is teach Chinese in primary schools....well I think I would like that anyway. haha Will need a bit of extra study though. And I don't know how much schools would want a non-chinese person teaching Chinese. Anyway, that's what I would love to do. Guess I'll have to settle for teaching English at the moment.

    It wouldn't make any money but another thing I wish I could do was play piano and sing in a band again just like I used to before we moved to Melbourne. (it was a band made up of youth from our church) I really miss that.

    Anyway, that's my bit. :-)

     
  • At January 21, 2011 9:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wanna be a fireman........... and stick the stickers on apples :-)


    laurie (aka the third wheel)

     
  • At January 21, 2011 9:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No prizes for guessing the second one even without a name.

    Given my druthers I'd be a musician but I gave that up in '78 to have enough money to get married. I slogged it out til '96 but it wasn't a fun trip.

    My advice would be to look at whether you can live on the income of middle or lower tier of the profession you choose. The top players don't count as you sure don't start there.

    Since we can't I'm not a muso for a living.

     
  • At January 22, 2011 11:47 pm, Anonymous Pauline said…

    In part I'm doing my dream job... but in someways I think there's something more as well.

    Although I love my job, can't wait to get to work and generally leave tired but knowing we've had a good day, I have the feeling there's more yet to do. I don't know what... but I suppose I'll know when I find it.

    And just because I can, I'll share this quote from Fame (2009) because it always makes me feel very successful and lucky:

    "Success is waking up in the morning so excited by what you have to do that you literally fly out the door.
    It’s getting to work with people you love.
    Success is connecting with the world and making people feel.
    It’s finding a way to bind together people who have nothing in common but a dream.
    It’s falling asleep at night knowing you did the best job you could."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home