Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Monday, June 05, 2006

The Value of a Smile

What is the value of a smile?

About 70 cents.

On Friday night I was having dinner with my family (including my grandparents, as it was their 50th wedding anniversary). Dad asked me to go and buy drinks at the bar for my sister, my mum and myself.

I went to the bar and ordered 2 LLB's and a Sprite. All of which cost me $5.90.
Sitting back down, I read the menu. Soft drinks were priced at $2.20 each.
"Dad," I said, "I bought three soft drinks at $2.20 - that's at least $6.60, if not more, since I don't know what LLB's cost. But I got it all for $5.90!"
"You must have smiled nicely at the guy at the bar - well done," said Dad.

I thought about that for a second.

"That's a saving of 70 cents. Is that all my smile is worth? I'm highly insulted!"

So that is the value of a smile. Maybe we should put GST on it as well.

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home