Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

"Blue Like Jazz"

That's the title of a book I've read by Donald Miller - "Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious thoughts on Christian Spirituality." It's a good read.

"I used to get really ticked about preachers who talked too much about grace, because they tempted me to not be disciplined. I figured what people needed was a kick in the butt, and if I failed at godliness it was because those around me weren't trying hard enough. I believed if word got out about grace, the whole church was going to turn into a brothel. I was a real jerk, I think." p. 79

The point of the chapter was to illustrate that acceptance of God's grace is fuel for obedience, not disobedience. And I think I agree......up to a point......maybe? In this chapter, the author said he loved to give charity, but didn't want to take it. I am like that. I don't like people doing things for me - it makes me feel slack, or it makes me feel like they think I can't do it.

So this idea: accepting God's grace and love will motivate us to obey Him. Outward discipline might curb some external behaviours, but it won't change us. The floor is open for comments. I, for one, certainly hope that grace and love are motivation for obedience and not disobedience, and I would like to be in that place.

1 Comments:

  • At May 20, 2006 10:52 pm, Blogger Mathieu said…

    "God's grace is fuel for obedience, not disobedience."

    The above is true in my case.

    Whenever I forget about God's grace, I give up. Then I remember. Sometimes it takes me ages because I've worn out the concept. When I realise I'm already forgiven, I feel free to please God because I don't feel I've stuffed up my life beyond repair anymore.

    This is God's power, and His grace. I just have to accept it by faith and choose His forgiveness and atonement for my sin through Jesus' death on the cross.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home