Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

2003

I was cleaning up my year 12 Japanese folder last night, and found two things I thought I'd put on here.

The first was a short script (written in Japanese) set in a restaurant. This is a rough translation:

WAITER: Good evening.
CUSTOMER: Good evening.
WAITER: Please wait just a moment.
CUSTOMER: Why?
WAITER: All the tables are full. I'm not exactly sure what that line says!
CUSTOMER: Oh, that's fine.
(Some people get up and leave. The waiter clears the plates and returns to the customer)
WAITER: Thank you for waiting. Please come to a table.
(The waiter and customer go to a table. Customer sits down. Waiter gives her a menu. The customer looks at the menu).
WAITER: What would you like?
CUSTOMER: I don't know. What do you have in your sushi?
WAITER: Sushi is made of fish and rice and seaweed.
CUSTOMER: That's interesting, isn't it. Sushi please.
(Waiter goes to the kitchen)
WAITER: Excuse me.
CHEF: (yelling) WHAT?!
WAITER: Um...sushi please.
CHEF: How many?!?!
WAITER: I don't know. Excuse me. (He goes to the table)
CHEF: Hurry, hurry! (quietly) Idiot.
WAITER: (to customer) Excuse me. How many sushi?
CUSTOMER: Um...three sushi please.
WAITER: Three sushi?
CUSTOMER: Yes please.
WAITER: Excuse me. (He goes to the kitchen) Three sushi please.
CHEF: Yes! (He gives three sushi to the waiter on a plate) Then it says something I can't translate cos I don't remember that much Japanese anymore!
WAITER: Your cooking is very good.
CHEF: Go! Hurry up, hurry up!
WAITER: Yes! (He grabs the plate, starts to run and falls over)
CHEF: (screaming) IDIOT!!!!
(the waiter picks up the sushi, puts them on the plate and runs out to the customer)
WAITER: (to customer) Here is the sushi.
CUSTOMER: Thank you very much! (She takes a bite) This is superb, isn't it! This is the most delicious sushi I have ever eaten!

THE END.

The second was something I wrote when I was stressed and tired (in March!) after our music teacher was picking on us for not getting some homework done, or something equally ridiculous.

THE TEACHER FILES

The teacher peered over his glasses at the students.
"This school trains you to be lazy," he snarled. "In terms of homework you are all SLACK. You've had HEAPS of time to do it."
This was the sentiment that had been echoed by at least six other teachers that Monday morning. And it was only second period.
Well, she wasn't going to take it.

"WHY ARE TEACHERS ALWAYS SAYING 'YOU'VE HAD HEAPS OF TIME TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK'?" she yelled. "I DON'T RECALL HAVING HEAPS OF TIME TO DO ANYTHING SINCE JANUARY! YOU ONLY HAVE HEAPS OF TIME IF YOU DO ONE SUBJECT!"
"Hear, hear!" said another student.
She continued, "AND I MEAN, OBVIOUSLY I'M SLACK AND LAZY WHEN IT COMES TO HOMEWORK! I ONLY STAYED UP UNTIL ELEVEN O'CLOCK FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS SO I COULD STUDY FOR OR FINISH MY TEN ASSESSMENTS! THAT IS SO SLACK! I HAVEN'T HAD A WEEKEND SPARE SINCE SUMMER HOLIDAYS BECAUSE I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO, BUT OBVIOUSLY THAT JUST PROVES HOW UTTERLY INDIFFERENT I AM TO SCHOOLWORK! I'M SO SLACK, I'M GOING TO GIVE UP SLEEPING, BECAUSE IT'S JUST A WASTE OF TIME!"
She sat down, glowering.


*Hmm....perhaps I should have taken it a bit easier in year 12.........*

10 Comments:

  • At June 25, 2006 5:19 pm, Blogger Mathieu said…

    Year 12 at school sounds harder than uni! I wouldn't know. I left school in grade 10.
    Wow! And the Japanese! You remember more Japanese than we ever even learned in grade 10.
    The only Japanese I remember is... um... not much.
    Wait! I remember! "I have an itchi knee... the sun's long gone..."
    I give up.

     
  • At June 26, 2006 7:36 pm, Blogger Noof said…

    Year 12 at school is harder than uni, in some ways.

     
  • At June 27, 2006 11:15 am, Blogger Trevor said…

    Interesting, I don't think my school did homework. Or maybe I didn't do homework at my school, one of those two.

    What inspired you to put up the script? Did it bring back memories? Or did you find it funny? Was it culturally relevant to a restaurant you have recently visited? I'm not a sushi person myself, but I'm sure everyone (especially in Japan) knows what's in sushi, it seemed somewhat wrong to have someone ask what was in sushi.

     
  • At June 28, 2006 3:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    More of it, Noof - get back to that Japanese script writing - it was hilarious!!! Maybe not directly great or the idea, but I had a Fawlty Towers style vision in my head through the whole thing... priceless...

     
  • At June 28, 2006 3:37 pm, Blogger Gloz said…

    what's in sushi? well depends on what kind of sushi it is...teriyaki chicken/avocado/cucumber/salomn/shitake...heaps of other stuff, but one thing for sure, there's no wasabi in it unless you ask for it...
    and in japan, they put wasabi in nigiri! not maki roll though!

     
  • At June 28, 2006 3:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...plus seeing that you did Grade 12 in 2003 made me feel SO OLD, considering I did Grade 12 in 1990... ouch... BTW - what's a guy got to do to show up in your "blogs I read" roll?!?!?!

     
  • At June 28, 2006 3:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops... there already - sorry... must be Scott & Jo's I haven't made it into yet... talk about paranoid (who, me?)!!

     
  • At June 28, 2006 3:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...and one more post, just because I am bored this afternoon at work... and it sure bumps up your comment list!

     
  • At June 28, 2006 4:28 pm, Blogger Mathieu said…

    People at my church make vegetarian sushi all the time. Some versions of that have advocado.

    WV: djwzzi

     
  • At June 28, 2006 5:37 pm, Blogger Noof said…

    Just for everyone to note - sushi can have many different things in it. This one had fish and rice. ;-)

    PS Steve, I will get to work on the next Japanese script after Kids Klub ;-)Except it will now contain my very limited vocabulary. Expect phrases such as, "I am going home" and "Hello" and "This is boring".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home