Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Melbourne

I went to Melbourne.

It was pretty cool :-) I liked it - a beautiful place. A bit cold though.

I don't think I can go through the whole weekend, cos it would only bore you, so here are a few interesting points:

- I didn't know any of the people I spent an entire weekend with, before I went there. That includes Peter Brook, one of the dudes in Student Life national office, and co-ordinator of Summer Projects - but I guess we were "travelling buddies", since we took the same plane down and the same plane home.

- But all these new people were WONDERFUL. Apart from Peter, there was his dad, David (who was a missionary in Japan for over 25 years) - he helped with the training. There was Peter's sister Megumi (Meg for short - our mission is named after her), and her husband Simon (and these guys were also missios in Japan with OMF for 4 years). There was Wai Ling, the SL missionary going to Japan. She is sooooo cool :-D And of course the lovely Jess, who drove me around, showed me as much of Melbourne as she could in our limited time frame, and was generally a great companion :-) (She too is going to Japan)

- I met some others - Lori and Hannah, 2 stint missios at Monash Uni, who let us use their house and sleep in their beds (even though they didn't know me!) Melanie, the daughter of Meg and Simon. Steve, their friend.

- Peter, David, Simon, Meg, Steve, Wai Ling, Jess, Melanie, and I all had dinner at Simon and Meg's house, which turned out to be 2 streets away from my grandparent's place, so after dinner Jess, Wai Ling and I dropped in.

- Visited a Japanese church on Sunday morning. They prayed the pastoral prayer in Japanese. I understood one word - 'byoki', which means 'sick'. "Someone must be sick," I figured out. (woo, good deducing skills there :-p )

- Our trip to Japan is a pioneering ministry. This means that as long as everything we do is biblically sound, we can't do anything wrong, because nothing's been tried before. Our ministry will be in Seto, which is kind of an arty area of Japan. This I am looking forward to!

I think that'll do for now.

3 Comments:

  • At October 04, 2006 4:20 pm, Blogger Redhillducks said…

    Thanks for the update, Nic. It sounds as though you had a great time in Melbourne. I'm sure things will be brilliant in Japan as well.

    Peter Brook's from Toowoomba, isn't he? I should be meeting him on my project. I think most of the team from Projection are staying at his place. But I'm not, they're billeting me elsewhere because I'm the only female student on this project.

     
  • At October 04, 2006 7:11 pm, Blogger two salty said…

    You're going to Japan?? Look what you miss when you are out of the loop for a couple of weeks!! So when is this exciting adventure scheduled to take place? Any prayer requests I should know about?

    And Melbourne... ahh the shopping :)

     
  • At October 08, 2006 2:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melbourne usually is pretty cool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home