Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

My blog looks funny, and I don't know why. When I view it, it's not showing any pictures. I think there's something wrong with Firefox.

I had all these great things I wanted to say, but now that I'm writing this, I can't think of them! Oh well.........

A quote from John Stott:

What form might the cost [of reconciliation] take?....If we ourselves are to blame, there will be the humiliation of apologising, the deeper humiliation of making restitution where possible, and the deepest humiliation of all, which is to confess that the wounds we have caused will take time to heal and cannot light-heartedly be forgotten...p.296, "The Cross of Christ"

He was talking about how it cost Jesus so much to reconcile us to God, and that reconciliation between Christians is costly.

I read Psalm 34 yesterday. It's one of my favourites :-D

Complete tangent: Just before (or during?) MYC I was reading a book (The Fight by John White, if you're interested - I recommend it) and it talked about how life as a Christian was about praying the prayer 'Not my will, but Yours be done'. Not, said the author, that life was to be a series of Gethsemanes (which is where this prayer was prayed - by Jesus), but it was to be a continual prayer. So I started praying it. For a long time I've been scared about what God will do if I surrender. I'm not entirely over it. But I keep praying this prayer. And I've noticed a couple of small changes:
I realised that God loves me and what He asks me to do is out of His love for me.
It makes it easier to choose God's way over mine.
Sometimes I can tell the difference between when God really wants something and when I'm just imagining things. (But only sometimes!)

That's it. It's still a struggle. I'm not over my fear of "what God wants" or "God's will". But I think it's getting better. Hope that was helpful for someone.

My phone is playing up. I want to get a new one. But I also feel like that would be a bit materialistic.......I probably only need a new phone battery to make it work better - that's like tens of dollars as opposed to hundreds of dollars. And I pride myself on making things last until they wear out. I think I'll get a new phone battery. It's kind of a novelty to have the oldest phone around.

I keep trying to write songs for other people, but it just doesn't work as well as writing songs for myself. Mind you, if I only write for myself, then I have to wait for ages until I get a good idea. There's always material if I write for other people, but those ones don't seem as good.....ah well, more work.

Btw, if anyone wants to take over sport in the park on Friday afternoons, let me know, cos I am unfortunately not available to do it anymore.

Have a good weekend!

1 Comments:

  • At July 24, 2006 12:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Nic... I liked the insights about the beattitudes and Praying not my will, but yours... I totally agree that it can be really scary, but most often I find, most rewarding... It's a surrender 4 me... and when I surrender it often seems like a whole weight has been lifted off my shoulders... which it probably has been as the problem is no longer mine... so thanks for reminding me of these things Nic... Keep reminding us! It's great!

    Janelle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home