Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Friday, January 20, 2006

The quest for.....well, something.

My quiet times/devotions these last few days have not taken on their usual form.

I was reading Luke 8:1-15 - that's the parable of the sower. You know the seed that falls on the 4 types of ground? Well, I was kinda thinking that if I was any of those 4 types of ground, I was probably closest to being the thorny type of ground - choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures (see verse 14) and the worst bit: "and they do not mature," and I was like, "Crikey!"

So, I thought, how do I stop from being choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures?

The answer to stop being choked by worries was found in Philippians 4:6,7.
Riches - my answer was to store up treasure in heaven. How to do that is tomorrow's devotion.
Today's was how to stop being choked, or controlled by pleasures. I mean, let's face it - pleasure is fun, right? So it's difficult. If I want something, and God says no, will I be able to say no to myself?
"They don't put verses like "this is how to enjoy stuff, but not let pleasure control you" in the Bible!" I thought.

But quite by accident I ran into Colossians thingy verse thingy....hang on.....
Colossians 3:1,2.
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.

Right! So basically - to cut the control that pleasure has on me - focus on heaven. Focus on the eternal, not the temporary. :-D That was helpful.

And today was about heaven - what's in heaven to look forward to. I think this could be a huge long study.....but Revelation was basically where I went. And yeah, there's gonna be this city and it's gonna be about 2.2km long, high and wide.......God's gonna be there. There's not going to be any death or mourning or crying or pain. yeah! and no night. Yeah, we never have to go to sleep! :-p and no sun - God's glory is going to be so bright that's all we'll need. And we will live with God. and Jesus. So it's got to be good. I don't know......reading it all just made me feel happy - I couldn't imagine anyone looking sad or upset or serious there - just big smiles all round :-D

Bring on heaven!

1 Comments:

  • At January 21, 2006 1:51 am, Blogger Mathieu said…

    Church signs I've just been reading that probably don't help:

    May we live simply so that others may simply live.

    To hear God's voice turn down the world's volume.

    If you're too busy to pray, you're too busy.

    God's purpose is greater than you problems.

    Do not ask God to give you things so that you might enjoy life. God gave you life so that you might enjoy all things.

    Do not drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

    Hmm.. Not as relevant as I first thought, but I just finished typing them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home