Random stuff

This is a collection of random ideas and thoughts, which I will probably post when I'm bored or procrastinating.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Messiah - but who is that?

I'm writing a talk on the teachings of Jesus about His identity. The rough draft is a week past due - blame assignments :-s

Anyway, since Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, I'm trying to look further into this concept of the Messiah - what was his role exactly? The quickest way would be to find a resource that says "The role of the Messiah was to ____". For some reason I have in my mind the Messiah as a deliverer and conqueror/ruler of Israel - and that's why some people couldn't accept Jesus as the Messiah, because He was so different to their concept of Messiah. But I don't know where I got that idea from. May have heard it around the place.

Anyway, the alternative to getting a nice easy resource is 1) Finding every single prophecy (implicit and explicit) about the Messiah
2) Reading all these prophecies and somehow interpreting them in order to get a picture of the Messiah
3)Then being able to say "So Jesus fulfilled this and this, and we're waiting for His second coming to fulfill these".

It's a problem, isn't it, when you know the answers, but you don't know the questions. So off I go, working backwards!

If you know of anything that might be helpful, please comment :-)

P.S. My phone is no longer on prepaid! Hooray! :-D

1 Comments:

  • At November 10, 2005 9:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you read the book 'more than a carpenter' by Josh Mcdowell it explains a lot of things. But look at Dan 7:14 which is the bit where it talks about him being the Son of man and also look at Isaiah 9:6&7 there are heaps but in terms of what the messiah means there is a whole collection of books that do this but I think in a short answer that it means a saviour. the law couldn't save us so God Himself had to be our salvation and was long awaited for.
    See Rom 3:20 Luke 10:24 and a whole bunch of psalms. you know my number if you want more ideas there's heaps!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home